HOME | NEWS | BAND | MUSIC | LIVE | FORUMS | MULTIMEDIA | SHOP | COMMUNITY | CONTACT US
Member Authentication
Forgot your password?
Become a member

New Order Related
Digital Republic
Ceremony
Music for pleasure
Weekly Song Reviews

International Forums
República Digital (Português)
République Numérique
Digitale Republik
Digitalrepubliken
República Digital (Español)
デジタル共和国
Digitalna Republika
Ψηφιακή Δημοκρατία

Off-Topic Forums
Behind Closed Doors
Buy/Trade/Sell
State of the Nation

Special Forums
World In Motion
Community

NewOrderOnline Related
NewOrderOnline Technical Chat
Customer Service

Subscriptions
Manage

Sir: :CHUNKS
Lake Effect
Fill
Perfect Kiss
Eugenio Di Massimo
Danny Provencher
alebear
Liz
greg orlandini
Nikolaus Morhardt
Rev
ALVINHO

New Order sign to Mute Records for 10th studio album
New New Order Song!
New Order Seek to Balance Writing and the Road
New Order announces U.S. tour in July leading up to Lollapalooza appearance
Technical Issues
New Order to highlight Osheaga Festival
New Order 2013 Tour
New Order to Tour North America for the First Time in Seven Years
Doctor Hooky
The First Time I Heard Joy Division / New Order
New Order Video Interview
Peter Saville/Unknown Pleasures: donation to Fundraising Auction
New Order World Tour (Updated with US/CAN dates)
Working on a refresh
New Order's "Elegia" for Ian Curtis Is Now on Vinyl
New Order to Play Olympics Closing Ceremony

NewOrderOnline.com is supported by its members. Donations are always welcomed and appreciated.

Send a donation...

Home » Forums » Digital Republic » Bernard Sumner Announces Bad Lieutenant Debut Album
Bernard Sumner Announces Bad Lieutenant Debut Album
Thread Starter: Surf Western
Started: 02/07/2009 8:50:57 AM - 8:50:57 AM
Replies: 33
Add Reply  
Author Re: Bernard Sumner Announces Bad Lieutenant Debut Album
poorshakes  
Member of the Village

03/07/2009 3:00:49 PM - 3:00:49 PM
 Martijn wrote:
'I was reading this month's Mojo which has an interview with Barney'

Any chance of a scan of the article??

Or can it be found onlien somewhere?

This is the Mojo interview with Barney from page 18. It doesn’t feel right that he’s in a magazine like Mojo. I suppose it was inevitable.

---

Exclusive!
Sumner Speaks
The Joy Division/New Order Frontman Reveals His New Band Bad Lieutenant. By Roy Wilkinson
Bernard Sumner is finalising the debut album from his new band Bad Lieutenant, due in October. But will there be another New Order album?
“No!” he says. “When I make music these days I want it to be fun, nice, enjoyable and I find those conditions with this new band. This new album is really important for me. It’ll either work – people will like it – or I’ll stop making music. I don’t want to make music as part of New Order.”
New Order may be gone, but the Bad Lieutenant album did involve some Blue Monday – in this instance the blue cheese made by Blur bassist Alex James. The album was partly recorded in James’s studio at his Cotswold farm, and the cheesemaker plays on some tracks.
“The cheese was actually a bit strong for me,” says Sumner. “But it was great working at Alex’s place. We worked as hard as we could without shedding blood.”
The seemingly permanent split between Sumner and New Order bassist Peter Hooky was announced in 2007. The Bad Lieutenant album is likely to be called Resistance, features New Order drummer Stephen Morris and guitarist-keyboardist Phil Cunningham, latterly part of New Order, plus Macclesfield singer-guitarist Jake Evans, who sings lead vocals on three tracks.
“It’s guitar-orientated,” says Sumner. “To me, it sounds really fresh. It’s not a million miles from New Order, but it is different because it has different people playing on it. Part of the reason for this album is that it gets Jake’s talent and voice out there. He’s a brilliant guitarist.”
Track titles include Sink Or Swim, Summer Days On Holiday and Sail On Silver Water. Despite the holiday and sailing references and the fact that, as Sumner spoke to MOJO, he was about to sail his boat to the Inner Hebrides, he says the lyrics have little to do with splicing the mainbrace.
“I’ll never write a song about sailing!” he says. “In fact I had to take any nautical references out – I don’t want to end up writing sea shanties.”
Peter Hook is also finishing a new album, as part of the group Freebass, with ex-Stone Roses bassist Gary ‘Mani’ Mounfield and former Smiths bassist Andy Rourke.

---

I would like it if the group played Electronic material live, but then again, a lot of the weaker stuff especially on Raise the Pressure was guitar-orientated, One Day in particular...

Big Mouth Julio  
Low-Life

Listen to the silence!

03/07/2009 4:42:28 PM - 4:42:28 PM
Another singer from MacClesfield, nice!

Get a taste in my mouth as desperation takes hold!
Then love, love will tear us apart again!

El Jarvo  
Viking

Phat Boys

04/07/2009 2:52:57 AM - 2:52:57 AM
"Resistance" would've been a much better name for an album.

Hope these were also just working titles though - "Summer Days On Holiday" and "Sail On Silver Water" - cos they're a bit shit, aren't they?

EDIT: Oh, I guess this is the reason they changed the title!

Surf Western  
Member of the Brotherhood

"I brung over my wife. You've given me the wrong child."

04/07/2009 8:51:05 AM - 8:51:05 AM
I hope they're working titles, but Sail On Silver Water isn't too bad. Assuming the album has 10-12 tracks, Jake Evans singing three isn't that bad. Maybe Bernard will give us some nice guitar parts on those songs. October is shaping up to be a good month for me, I can't wait to hear some stuff from this album.

Ugh, f*cking Muse, hate them. Oh well.

"I think she's just a bad, bad brain with an unused fanny."

0_o  
Weirdo

Location: the empty void between other people, United States of America
04/07/2009 9:32:58 AM - 9:32:58 AM
 Surf Western wrote:
I hope they're working titles, but Sail On Silver Water isn't too bad. Assuming the album has 10-12 tracks, Jake Evans singing three isn't that bad. Maybe Bernard will give us some nice guitar parts on those songs. October is shaping up to be a good month for me, I can't wait to hear some stuff from this album.

Was it Jake Evans sings three songs, or Bernard singing three songs and Jake the rest? Just sounds like a Jake Evans record with Phil Cunningham, and some guest spots with Bernard, Steve, and the Blur bassist.

Shrug

Geri  
Salvation Member

04/07/2009 11:01:08 AM - 11:01:08 AM
Which Mojo issue is this in? I was stood in the shop reading the July one today, but I didn't see it. Tucked away in a corner perhaps ?!

I know, you know, we believe in a chosen few ...

Zachery Starkey  
Member with Technique

04/07/2009 12:43:26 PM - 12:43:26 PM
 0_o wrote:
 Surf Western wrote:

Was it Jake Evans sings three songs, or Bernard singing three songs and Jake the rest? Just sounds like a Jake Evans record with Phil Cunningham, and some guest spots with Bernard, Steve, and the Blur bassist.

Bernard sings on the majority of the album, Jake sings on three songs.

Judging by the sound of Sink or Swim, I'd reckon Bernard probably did the lions share of the songwriting on most of (but not on all of) the songs.

www.myspace.com/ZacheryAllanStarkey

Zachery Starkey  
Member with Technique

04/07/2009 12:59:05 PM - 12:59:05 PM
I have to say that I am really looking forward to Bad Lieutentant. I think Bernard is a great songwriter (his ear for gorgeous melodies is one of the reasons I fell in love with New Order) and he is one of my favorite singers (I think of him as the Neil Young of Post Punk), so I cant wait to hear this. Hope hey do some gigs in the US!

And I think Sink or Swim is a gorgeous pop song, great melodies and and very plaintive. Looking forward to hearing the final version with electronics added!

www.myspace.com/ZacheryAllanStarkey

poorshakes  
Member of the Village

06/07/2009 7:26:54 AM - 7:26:54 AM
 Geri wrote:
Which Mojo issue is this in? I was stood in the shop reading the July one today, but I didn't see it. Tucked away in a corner perhaps ?!

the fleet foxes are on the cover, its an award ceremony issue, so barney appears in the main award section, but I think thats already been mentioned on another thread

Johnny Giles  
Viking

When in Rome....

06/07/2009 11:43:31 AM - 11:43:31 AM
 El Jarvo wrote:
"Resistance" would've been a much better name for an album.

Hope these were also just working titles though - "Summer Days On Holiday" and "Sail On Silver Water" - cos they're a bit shit, aren't they?

EDIT: Oh, I guess this is the reason they changed the title!

Defo, Resistance would have been quality. So Muse's album title is the 'The Resistance'. And the manager of Muse is Anthony Addis. And the manager of Freebass is......Anthony Addis!!. Good job!.

Actually, that is probably old news. Not sure whether Addis is still taking on the Freebass project...what with their albums coming out at similar times, doubt he could pick up both with overlapping promotional commitments. Still, be funny if he was.

Add Reply
  Page 2 of 2 (35 items) < 1 2